Shakira has caused a stir with her latest song, with lyrics that appear to be aimed at her ex, Gerard Piqué.
The Colombian musician divorced the former Barcelona footballer in June 2022 amid rumors that Piqué had been unfaithful.
In a new track produced with Argentinian DJ Bizarrap, titled “BZRP Music Sessions #53,” Shakira appeared to be targeting her former partner of 11 years.
The lyrics contain thinly veiled references to Piqué and to his new girlfriend Clara Chia Marti.
Here are eight of the most ferocious barbs in the track…
1. “So Much Talk About Being A Champion / And When I Needed You, You Gave Me The Worst Version Of You”
2. “Sorry honey, I should have kicked you out a while ago / A she-wolf like me is not for newbies”
3. “This is for you to be mortified / chew and swallow, swallow and chew”
4. “I only make music, sorry it splashed you”
As sung in Spanish, this line reads: “Yo solo hago música, perdón que te salpique”, making the last word (salpique) a pun on Piqué’s name.
5. “You left me my mother-in-law as my neighbor / media outlets at my door and in debt to the government”
This line is a clear reference to Shakira’s legal battle over alleged tax fraud (which she has denied).
6. “She’s got a good person’s name / It’s obviously not what it sounds like.”
The Spanish word for “obviously”, “claramente”, is used here as an apparent pun on Clara Chia Marti, with Shakira articulating the word to emphasize this.
7. “I’m worth two out of 22 / You traded a Ferrari for a Twingo / You traded a Rolex for a Casio”
Rumor has it that Piqué’s new girlfriend, currently 23, is seeing the footballer again when she would be 22. birthday on February 2.
8. “Lots of time in the gym, but your brain needs some work too”
Pique has not yet responded to the new number. The independent has contacted a representative for comment.